Pre-War Church

 

St Michael’s Church, Waddington - Pre-War

There has been a Church in Waddington since 1228. A medieval building which has been described by some as having no great architectural beauty. One description of this building is as follows:

 

“It is a queer mixture or architectural features. Basically, late gothic, but entrance door with curved pediment and console brackets early 18th cent. Window above entrance door is a mixture of gothic and classical. The parapet wall to the tower is traditional machicolations or embattlements but the pineals are Elizabethan Style. All these featured must have been added by relatively local craftsmen imitating the latest fashion of the day.”